Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hannah and Cheever's Next Adventure

I was laid off about six weeks ago and yesterday was offered a new job. It requires moving from Chicago to San Francisco, but that's not such a loss. I have to leave this weekend, but the dogs aren't coming out till June.

So here are my questions.

1- I expect to drive my dogs to SF, but flying could be an option. The drive is three days. Any input into the pros and cons of driving with dogs for three days versus a six-hour flight?

2- Are there any RRUS adopters in the SF Bay area? I'll be living in Walnut Creek. If so, where are the good dogs parks? Are there any dog-friendly beaches on the ocean within a few hours' drive?

2 Comments:

At 5/13/2009 8:35 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

First- CONGRATS on the new job!!!

I have driven thousands of miles w. my dogs. I would prefer them as my co-pilots anyday :)) Nothing beats snuggling up w. a Ridgeback or two after a long day on the road. I have stayed in many La Quinta Inns but my new favorite is Drury Inns/Suites- these 2 chains are usually very dog friendly (but double check with the specific hotel- I have had to find another room at 2 AM when the counter assistant notified me that my dogs were "too big" after I specifically asked when I booked the room from the 1-800 number for the hotel chain)

I have only flown one dog across the country. From what I could tell the dog (young and very outgoing/confident) did fine. But I was a nervous wreck the whole time she was in the air.

And yes I believe there is at least one former RRUS foster dog who landed in the SF area.

OH I can't wait to see your photos of the pups out West. Be safe and good luck w. your new start.
Amanda

 
At 5/14/2009 7:41 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

I completely agree with Amanda. Have gone thousands of miles with our two. Stay at La Quintas, too (some are great, some not). I do not disclose my dogs unless asked as because dogs are allowed on premises they will not be reported as unusual and you might get a better room. I don't like pet designated rooms as I like clean and our dogs are clean. Crates usually not required. Lots of breaks for walks and water. Good for everyone. I lived in Berkeley and the bay area. Not sure on beaches but dogs are popular in SF. Also, my vet suggested having Valium on hand if the dogs get agitated and I have definitely used it - one of my dogs would wag his tail when I'd ask if he needed a valium. I only give 2.5 mgs per 50 lbs which is a very low dose according to vet.
Happy travels

 

Post a Comment

<< Home