Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

My First Loss

Bacari was my very first Ridgeback. The sweet soul that started the love affair w. the breed. I adopted Bacari was RRUS back in 2005. He was the most pleasant dog. He had NO bad habits. He was brought into rescue from a puppy mill. He was a basket case. His foster mom, Evelyn, was determined to get him ready for adoption. I am not sure how many months it took before he was deemed ready but it was a slow process. I am grateful for Evelyn's hard work- she laid a solid foundation on which we built.

I lived close to Bacari's foster home so I visited often to allow him to get to know me before I actually adopted him. We signed him up for obedience. It was here that he came out of his shell and came to trust me. He easily passed his Canine Good Citizen exam. I have never been so proud of him.

Over the next few years, Bacari came to totally trust and relax at home. He held an important position in our home- the couch anchor! He was a total food hound and would almost knock you over to get to his food bowl.

Bacari must have been much older than anyone ever imagined. He seemed to age overnight. He had been sick off and on for the past few months. A trip to the vet lead to no definitive diagnosis. So once again, he got sick over the last weekend. It was then that the decision to let him go was made. He was miserable and lethargic.

I have shed many tears but finally feel able to focus on what a wonderful life he was given. Thanks to RRUS for saving him and allowing my house to be his HOME. Bacari will be missed. I still look for his smiling face when I walk through the door.
RIP my sweet Bacari- you will be missed but never forgotten. ? to 8-2-08

6 Comments:

At 8/06/2008 3:40 AM, Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Oh Amanda...no words can express how much sorrow I'm feeling at reading this post. Bacari will be greatly missed by many many people. Know that we are thinking of you and your family. Bacari will live on in the hearts and minds of those who knew and loved him.

 
At 8/06/2008 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,
Gracie and the whole gang here in Plainfield are so sad upon hearing of your loss. You are in our prayers and thoughts. Bacari was lucky to have had such a wonderful forever home as yours.
Bruce, Patti, Jake, Angus and Gracie Hill

 
At 8/07/2008 11:04 AM, Blogger Shellie M said...

We are so sorry for your loss, and so thankful for all the good you and Bacari did for each other.
Shellie, Jim, Analise, Clifford, and Duke

 
At 8/07/2008 5:06 PM, Blogger ridgebacksrock said...

dear amanda, this is Karen and Don Colby aka Cub's mom and dad we are truly sorry for your loss All of you at RRUS are true angels for making it possible for us to love these incredible animals. When you feel sad just remember the true joy he brought to your family. All are waiting at the rainbow bridge Love karen don and Cub (colby)

 
At 8/08/2008 6:04 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

My keyboard is wet with my tears. Thanks to you and RRUS we have our beloved TJ. We wish you happy memories that will help with the pain of losing Bacari. Our first loss was a RR/Corgi combo and I think those of us privileged to have a Ridgeback know just how big your loss is. Hang in there. Jackie

 
At 8/08/2008 7:44 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Amanda, I was so sad reading your post. Although I've never met you or Bacari, I can totally understand your feelings for these wonderful animals who bring so much love and joy into our homes. I can only imagine what you are going through. Our thoughts are with you and at least you'll always know that Bacari had a wonderful life with you. Take care, Mary Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home