Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Friday, January 05, 2007

What's Yours is Mine

Had to share this with you all.

I usually stop at Pet Supplies Plus on my way home from work on Friday's to bring home a specail treat for Morgan and Curtis (they are not spoiled). They actually know when I've been there even if I come in empty handed. Must smell like the store or maybe they know what day of the week it is. Anyway, today they each got a smoked bone. Off they went gnawing away and as they usually do, switched bones every 5 minutes. It's so funny to watch. If one gets up and leaves the bone, the other will steal it and when the first one comes back, he or she will just pick up the abandoned bone. It still amazes me that there is never a growl. Well, Mr. Curtis had been working away for a good while and had done a good job of grinding down one end. He needed a potty break and when we came back in, low and behold Morgan had stolen his bone. You see, once one of them gets an end going, it's much easier to crunch away little pieces. Poor Curtis. The only way I can describe the way he looked is crestfallen. He had worked so hard to get it just right and there was Morgan enjoying all his hard work. I picked up the other bone, but he wanted nothing to do with it. I was waiting to hear the growls start, but instead, Curtis layed down nose to nose with Morgan, with his head resting on his foot and patiently waited until Morgan left it unattended. Did I mention, i love my dogs?

3 Comments:

At 1/06/2007 3:16 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

My two do the same thing. They each get their own bone of course. Bacari starts on the bone- gets it perfect. Just as he appears content, toothless Nina Marie (AKA Beans) marches over- stares at him, exerts her alpha personality (could be called other things but that would not be PG rated), steals the bone from him. He watches ever so patiently waiting for her to leave the bone. As soon as she does, Bacari swoops in and steals it back. This goes back and forth until the bone is completely destroyed.

 
At 1/06/2007 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the story, Patti! Wrigley and Sadie can also detect whenever I have been in a pet store and sniff me up and down just like when I have taken care of the neighbor's cat :) Wrigley has gotten smart and when he needs a potty break, he goes out into the yard and does his thing with the bone in his mouth the entire time :) Of course there was the time when he dropped it in quite deep snow and it took a few weeks to reappear...

This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask. My two, like most Ridgebacks are very strong chewers. I gave up rawhides while we had our first Ridgeback. The only bones Wrigley and Sadie get are a 3-4" frozen raw marrow bone each every 10 days or so. But after the marrow and excess flesh are gone, they rarely chew on the bones. I know they would both just love the smoked bones, but I am so afraid of splinters or fragments. Am I being overly cautious? Thanks for any thoughts.

Ellen

 
At 1/07/2007 8:24 AM, Blogger Patti A. said...

Ellen,
I've not had a problem with them. They seem to break up into little piece which they chew. The type of smoked that I get, I think, are part of the leg. They are about 8-10 inches long and about 2-3 inches wide, with a double nub on one end. I've noticed bones will splinter if they've been cooked or boiled to long.

I also gave up on rawhide since our last RR, Codie, used to get it stuck in her throat. I spent more time reaching down her throat to dislodge the gummy mass. Yuck!

I have a big bucket of marrow bones and I'll drop a few pieces of kibble in the bucket and set the bucket in the middle of the floor. They have fun pulling out each bone trying to find the kibble and it seems to renew their interest in chewing on the bones.

Patti

 

Post a Comment

<< Home