Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Bacari's Christmas

We recently moved to KY. Since home (the Gulf Coast) was too far away. Friends from TN came for a visit. Since Bacari is a puppy mill rescue dog, he is not is not really friendly w/ people (even if he has met them time and time again!). I was worried about how he was going to react w/ "strangers" coming over and staying for a few days.



Boy was I wrong- still cautious, but right in the middle of everything. As anyone who has been reading this blog knows- Bacari has decided that the couch is his throne. He sat on the couch the entire time- people coming in and out, opening gifts. He even let the" strangers" sit next to him and pet him. He was always aware of what was happening but was not worried a bit. It was nice to see a "normal" dog for once.

And for Babs in LA and Missy's mom and dad- check out Bacari in his new role as KING OF THE COUCH. Can you see the blanket I bought him to cover the couch so he can sit there all day long if he so desires (and he does!)?

Ridgebacks are truly a breed apart, but a rescued Ridgie is a true delight. It warms my heart (and I hope yours) to see Bacari being comfortable and "letting his hair down." I know it sounds absolutely silly to be thrilled that my dog sat on the couch during Christmas celebrations. But in the past this same dog would have bolted upstairs and stayed there until company left. It is a slow process but one that has been so rewarding w/ each little step.

This describes our adoption experience in a nutshell: TRIUMPH is defined as a little "UMPH" added to try!

Amanda and Bacari (AKA Couch Potato)

9 Comments:

At 12/28/2006 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Did you know Santa was peeking over the couch in your photo?

Great to hear that Bacari was much more at ease with company at Christmas time. There really is something about them having their spot on the couch, that gives them a sense of security.

-Bob

 
At 12/28/2006 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda! Bacari!!! Congratulations!!!

This is my new favorite xmas story. I'm so incredibly happy for you and Bacari. And Bob is right - a Ridge needs a couch to feel secure and a couch needs a Ridge to feel needed.

Right now I have three couches and no Ridgies. No one is happy. Not me, not my couches. We hope to remedy that in the new year, which, thankfully, is less than a week away.

To all my fellow Ridgeback Lovers and all your Ridgies and their non-Ridgie pals, a very healthy, happy and fearless year!

 
At 12/28/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Patti A. said...

A great big "Atta Boy to Bacari! Amanda, all those "UMPHS" are a credit to your patience and love. Him being on the couch is a sign that he trusts you enough to try it: You done good girl!
Patti

 
At 12/29/2006 1:59 PM, Blogger Mich Melis said...

I also thought the story was grand, Amanda: and what a fabulous photo! I came to the group after Bacari was adopted - can you share with me how he got his name?

Melissa

 
At 12/29/2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Not really sure about the name? He came w/ it. Maybe his foster mom can add those details? Sad- I never asked or if I did, I forgot the answer. We call him so many other things- Mr. Boo Boo, the B-Man, BB, Big Lug, Bucky, Buckster, etc..- that we really use the name Bacari in full.

Amanda

 
At 12/30/2006 6:16 AM, Blogger Patti A. said...

Hi Amanda,
Morgan also does not do well with new people in her house, but I've noticed that the more people that are there, the better she does. It's almost as if she says, "Oh, I give up. There's too many to deal with." It must be the sensory flooding that they talk about in dog behavior. Now, if I could just find 20 people to come over every day, She'd get over her fears:)

Patti

 
At 12/30/2006 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Names...

Bakari (Boy)

Swahili - One with great promise

Alternatives include: Bacari, Baccari

Your boy was held only for promise of $$ for his keepers for far too long... now he holds great promise as it should be - for his love, loyalty and companionship that you cherish and consider priceless.

My Best, Beth

 
At 12/30/2006 5:43 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks for that Beth- how appropriate. He truly is one w/ great promise. Someday I hope he forgets his mill days and completely soaks up his new life of leisure (maybe too much leisure- what a LAZY LUG!!)

Amanda

 
At 12/30/2006 6:15 PM, Blogger Mich Melis said...

Thanks, Beth, for the definition! Sounds like a fitting one for him too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home