Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Introduction - Long Journey


Kayla III started her life somewhere in Michigan; I started mine somewhere in Zimbabwe, Africa. Through a series of events in both our lives, we made a connection somewhere in Indianapolis!

Kayla (as she was known as back then) moved south with her owners and spent wasted years chained outside until the RRUS rescued her. Her journey relocated her to Tennessee, then North Carolina to a great foster home. About 5 years ago, I came to the US (all my husband's fault!) and settled down in Wisconsin. However, there were many things about 'home' that I missed - the year-round sunshine, warm weather, no snow (and hence no shoveling), my friends and family, and Duke my African bred RR.

In the months that followed a sad event in my life this year, I finally managed to convince my husband that maybe a dog would be a good companion. So I looked at various websites heavily favoring the RRUS one - no bias, of course! My husband was a bit dubious about "such a big dog" in the house, but the other less appealing options of a small yappy dog squashed the question of the size of my primary choice. So began the connection...with help from Amanda and Carol - thank you!

So, in September, Kayla made the long road trip from NC, and we made the long road trip from WI to meet 'halfway' at Indianapolis, with the result that we headed home the next day with pooch in tow. We soon discovered that she has a lively personality and makes us laugh daily - just the thing I needed.

We also found out that Kayla's most favorite thing in the whole world is FOOD! Then play, then ride in the car, then food, then climb on the sofa, then food, then play, then food, then walk, then food...you get the picture! She has a way of clearly letting you know that she wants something (usually food) - so we decided that "Kayla" just did not suit her personality, so I found a word in the language of the part of Africa that I come from which describes her perfectly - kumbira. It means "asking for"!

So Kumbira, who started life in the mid-west has ended up back in it, and I have a new life in the mid-west with a dog whose original family tree came from the country of my birth. So, I guess you could call us both Afro-Americans! What a long and convoluted journey with a happy ending, well, in this case, a happy beginning.

5 Comments:

At 12/30/2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Patti A. said...

Life sure does come full circle. You missing Zimbabwe and Kumbria missing a loving home; it was a love that was meant to be. Thanks so much for sharing your journey and what a sweet pup you have. I haven't met a Ridgeback that doesn't think food is the first reason for living: It makes training so much easier though.

 
At 12/30/2006 5:39 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

So glad that Kimbira found your hubby and you! I love the pic- she looks so happy. She is truly an amazing dog- after one minute w/ Kumbira, it is more than evident that she is special and oh so smart. You are so right- what a waste for a dog this fantastic to be chained outside. I am glad she found her way to RRUS and then into your heart.

Amanda

 
At 12/30/2006 6:06 PM, Blogger Mich Melis said...

Truly an around the world journey to each other. Your post about the food cracked me up! I have one who sniffs so loud I think he was an anteater in a previous life. Or an elephant - he uses his nose for EVERYTHING! And I thought RRs were supposed to be SIGHT hounds! LOL. In any case, I'm glad to hear about such happy beginnings. And what a beautiful name for a dog.

Melissa

 
At 12/31/2006 4:52 AM, Blogger evelynintenn said...

I love the name Kumbira. However, that name will never be used on any of my hounds - they never ask, but instead, they demand: attention, food, car rides - nothing subtle about my pack :-)

But, back to Kumbira: She absolutely touched Jeremy and Carol's hearts and I am so glad that she is a vital part of a loving forever home.

 
At 12/31/2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Zimbo said...

Thanks for all the kind comments, and big thanks to Evelyn, Amanda, Jeremy & Carol - you guys are the greatest, and have built a good foundation for Kumbira! Audrey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home