Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Your Adoption Story

I was just thinking about all the different people and dogs who are on this list, representing a number of states- we all have adopted from RRUS and that is the tie that binds. But how did we all get here? Did someone tell you about RRUS? Were you searching the web and POOF there it was? Did your RR breeder tell you about rescue?

I'll go first.
I had a friend in high school who had a Ridgeback- I had never seen or even heard of the breed. Rex was an awesome dog. We really clicked- they let me house sit when they went on vacation b/c Rex liked me so much and he did not do well at the boarding kennels. Thus began my love affair w/ the BIG BROWN Dogs.

Fast forward: I am out of college, married and wanting to add another dog to the family. I mention to my dog walker that I would really like a Ridgeback but never see any available in the local pounds. She mentions that one of her clients, Evelyn, does Ridgeback Rescue. I can't think of a better way to get a dog than to rescue one. So I called Evelyn- who was the local contact for Ridgeback Rescue of the US. I was asked to fill out an adoption application. Evelyn interviewed me- although I am not sure I remember what I said or what she said. She was fostering Bacari- an ex-puppy mill dog who was quite shy. I got to meet him and eventually was allowed to adopt him. It was a great experience. Evelyn had done so much work to make Bacari more comfortable. I wondered if he would ever want to leave her house- he still lights up when he sees her. He will never forget the kindness she showed him those first few months he was freed from his life of terror.

My RRUS adoption experience was such a good one that I signed up and did it again. This time Roadie was added to our home. I love my RRUS dogs and could not imagine life w/out either of them. They were perfect fits- it's amazing how this rescue group pairs you up w/ the perfect dog.

Here's a pic of the boys doing what they do best- napping and taking up the entire couch! Think they like their new home??


Enjoy,
Amanda

2 Comments:

At 10/24/2007 3:26 PM, Blogger Mary Ann said...

Awwwww, I love the picture and the story! The livernose's head looks so much bigger than the other one. Is he a much bigger dog?

 
At 10/25/2007 4:53 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Yes Roadie towers over Bacari- weighs 15 pounds more too.

Roadie resembles a great Dane more than anything!!

Amanda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home