Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cheever's DNA Results

As some of you may remember, during my unemployment, I had Cheever's DNA tested (a birthday gift.) I got his results back last week.

To remind you of what he looks like, here are pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david754/

Cheever is all black except for a white belly with two black spots and three feet with white toes.

And his DNA results.... I'm NOT the father! YAY! Wait, that's not what the test was for.

I was totally unprepared for this. I thought for SURE... I was 100% CERTAIN he would come back a lurcher (sighthound mixed with non-sighthound.) I figured he was half greyhound.

Cheever is almost purebred DALMATIAN. An almost-all-black Dalmatian that's also almost 30 pounds and about six inches bigger than the outside of the breed standard. Based on his results, he's bout 87.5% Dalmatian and 12.5% Collie (great-grandparent.)

Also, I'm moving in here in San Francisco. I leased a room in a house yesterday and will be moving Hannah and Cheever out from Chicago the second week in June. Just the three of us in my Civic for three days. Sounds.... great?

The dogs will be sharing the house with a Pug, so that's going to be interesting. Hannah and Cheever will be fine, but if the Pug has an issue with other dogs, that could make things interesting.

David

5 Comments:

At 5/28/2009 7:06 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Good luck with the cross country adventure- that's all you can call a Civic with a driver and 2 large dogs. Can't wait to see pics of the Pug playing w. your guys.

DNA test-how interesting. I also heard about a RR (this one had AKC papers)who came back as 10% American Eskimo dog.

Amanda

 
At 6/06/2009 3:56 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

If you decide you cannot drive your pets, we used WE MOVE PETS and they were absolutely wonderful. They use a van with two air conditioners and if you have any interest just google We Move Pets. Sissy is the gal to talk with or her mom. She is pure gold. If not, have a great trip in the Civic. Sure the dogs would prefer you, but.....just in case.
Happy travels - loved the DNA story. How much did it cost?

 
At 6/09/2009 10:56 PM, Blogger David Hancock said...

$120

They make cheaper ones that use mouth swabs instead of blood draws, but the Wisdom Panel recognizes the most breeds and had the best reviews in terms of reliability.

 
At 6/20/2009 4:39 PM, Blogger Patti A. said...

Congratualtions on your Dalmation:) Oh and I'm glad you're not the father.

 
At 6/21/2009 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

david,

glad to hear you're coming out to sf. i go to alamo square park regularly with my rescue (rrus) rocky.

send me a note sometime: rogue386@speakeasy.net

matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home