Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Odd Wounds on Hannah

Hi, all,

I just returned from a week away and Hannah and Cheever stayed at a local kennel. I picked them up two days ago. Today, Hannah has two odd wounds on her right flank. They do not appear to be injuries related to the kennel. They don't look like attack scratches, either.

I noticed Hannah and Cheever licking the same spot on her flank. So I investigated and what appeared to be a small red spot got very large. I pushed her fur back to see the spot and it sluffed off with the top layer of skin. So her large wound is about the size of two nickels, maybe a bit larger, now. Her small wound is only a dot. The link below has the photos. More worrisome is she has a whole patch of small bumps which appear to be similar wounds forming. Cheever does not have these bumps, so I don't think they're fleas.

Also, when I touch the small bumps, Hannah recoils.

Any ideas? I am hoping it's stress-related or due to sleeping on a strange bed or cement if Cheever wouldn't let her on the bed for six nights.

Also, they put some kind of cheap perfume on both dogs before handing them over to me, so maybe this is an allergy? I bathed them the moment I got them home because the perfume was giving me an allergic reaction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david754/

7 Comments:

At 8/13/2009 6:10 PM, Blogger David Hancock said...

I've done some follow-up research and I am not as concerned as I was before. A couple years ago the vets found demodites in Hannah's stool sample. Having never seen her have a mange outbreak before, I didn't know what it looked like. I think this is probably just a mange outbreak brought on by her stress while at the kennel for a week.

 
At 8/13/2009 6:14 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

David - call the vet immediately and rule out MRSA. It is life threatening and should be ruled out. Sorry to be dramatic, but time is everything. Jackie, ret. RN

 
At 8/13/2009 6:24 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

David-Google Canine MRSA and maybe you can get some good info. Amanda is going to try and find your email address for me. Can you please let me know you've seen my posts. Thanks, Jackie

 
At 8/13/2009 8:13 PM, Blogger David Hancock said...

Hi, Jackie,

I've seen your posts. I will Google MRSA.

David

 
At 8/14/2009 9:08 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Any updates? I've been thinking about Hannah all day.

Amanda

 
At 8/14/2009 10:54 PM, Blogger David Hancock said...

Hi, all, here is the 24-hour update.

Hannah has fewer marks today than yesterday and the ones she has are smaller. Also, they are dry and as they've aged look like textbook ringworm photos. This is not a huge surprise. Hannah had ring worm in foster (it cleared up shortly before I got her with a few spots appearing for a few weeks after adoption.) I still have a decent supply of conofite left over and some ringworm shampoo. So I gave her her second conofite treatment tonight and will keep watch. The good news is there are no new spots and the number she has decreased markedly from last night.

 
At 8/15/2009 12:10 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Glad you have figured it out.
Ringworm- YUCK!

Hugs to sweet Hannah- Amanda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home