Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lucy

My husband and I adopted Lucy in January of 2006. We had been talking about getting a dog for a long time and when I saw a Ridgie at a dog show I fell in love. I immediately began researching the breed and when we agreed to get a dog I found RRUS. A dog named Xena piqued my interest on the website so I applied and found out that she was already adopted but when I spoke to Evelyn she told me she just got a surrender into her foster home. That surrender was a liver nosed girl about 3 years old named Lucy.

Lucy still needed to go through her trial at the foster home but I was optimistic. Evelyn and I kept in touch and when she was finally up on the website and I got to see her I knew I wanted her. Everyone I knew had to go online and see the dog we wanted to bring home. Then we made plans for the trip from New York to Tennessee. It was a long ride there but well worth it. I'll never forget arriving at Evelyn's house and seeing all those ridgie heads at the front window. Twenty four hours after arriving in Tennessee we were on our way home with Lucy in tow.

From the moment we arrived home Lucy was attached to my hip. Anywhere I go she follows. She was given up by her original owners as a problem dog but has been nothing but a perfect lady with us. When we took our obedience class the instructor wondered why we were there. The only slight issue we have with her is separation anxiety. She does not like to be alone. Since I work part time I am often home with her. She is crated if we are gone for a while but short trips she roams free. She shakes and her teeth chatter when she knows we are leaving. We don't encourage the behavior and come and go like it means nothing but she is still uneasy when we get back home. Any suggestions from other owners would be helpful since as I understand this is typical of the breed.

Since I've babbled and bragged enough about my girl I'll leave it for now. More later : - )

3 Comments:

At 11/16/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Welcome! And thank you for sharing Lucy with us. She sounds like a wonderful girl!

 
At 11/16/2006 10:06 AM, Blogger sibtigre2 said...

RE: the separation anxiety - have you tried giving her a special treat every time you leave? As in pairing something positive (and really likes) with your leaving her? This has worked with some of the animals I work with. They actually start to look forward to the negative thing (or at least don't stress about it) because they really want the treat.

 
At 11/19/2006 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a look at the book, "I'll Be Home Soon! How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety" by Patricia McConnell. You can order it on her website:

http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com

under books and training. Good luck and let us know how she progresses!

Ellen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home