Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Monday, February 19, 2007

Feeding Question

When do you feed? morning and night? or just once a day? We have been feeding once a day for a few years now. Everyone eats at night before bed. It seems to work, plus I am always rushed in the morning. However, I have been spooked lately by the B word- BLOAT. Does anyone know if feeding up and more frequently, less volume actually help prevent bloat from happening? Just asking- I have heard more than one story about this and want to make sure I am not endangering anyone. I have a small dog and 2 RRs (more to come about that) one Ridgie is very large and barrel chested.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain,
Amanda

3 Comments:

At 2/19/2007 10:07 AM, Blogger David Hancock said...

The dog I grew up with as a kid was fed at night, and in the wilf wolves may only eat once every three days or so, so daily isn't neccessarily bad. However, from terms of a gas and digestion standpoint, I prefer to feed the dogs in the morning and at night. Since they eat less at a given time, my gassy dog is less gassy. Also, since the two dogs I have now (unlike my childhood dog) are incapable of policing themselves, they eat 100% of their food all at once, and as fast as possible. In the evenings, I also mix their fod with water and let it sit before they eat. This pre-softens the food and helps it to expand some, which has seemed much easier on their stomachs than standard dry food (the occurence of regurgetation is also 0%, as opposed to slightly higher without added water.)

 
At 2/19/2007 4:52 PM, Blogger sibtigre2 said...

I feed twice a day as well. And I usually add water to it. They seem to do well with that and I've had no issues (knock on wood) with any digestion problems. Mine, also, are unable to police themselves and eat everything at once.

 
At 2/19/2007 7:33 PM, Blogger Patti A. said...

I too feed my guys twice a day, morning and evening. I was fed the riot act by the breeder of our previous RR about bloat and to always feed at least 2x a day and never never let them run after eatting. I always add enough water to cover the food. This seems to slow down their eatting so they actually chew the food plus it's a great way to assure they are hydrated. I've not had a problem with gas. They are both on Nutro Max Natural. Good question Amanda.
Patti

 

Post a Comment

<< Home