Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Thursday, October 25, 2007


I know it has taken me too long to report back to ya'll. I am finally doing it. I have to say from my view that Harley had a pretty easy transition except the fist night.

Harley's 1st night

We drove 4 hours on a Saturday to meet and pick up Harley. So we arrived at our destination in Mississippi at 3:30. For the next hour, the clouds in the sky got thicker and darker with lightening and thunder. So the whole meet and greet had to be cut short so everyone could leave before the storm. Harley was a nervous wreck on the ride home panting and constantly moving around in the backseat of the car. I finally got back there with her (no clue if that calmed her down or not). We finally got home at 9:30 pm. Drew and I let her search the house and fed her a little bit.

Drew showered and got in bed because he had to go out of town the next morning. At 10:30 pm, we were both ready for bed and we thought Harley would be exhausted too. However, Harley stayed on her bed 30 minutes before wimpering and making a strange noise. This noise I have heard from other dogs, but there is no name for it. I have now learned that this is Harley's noise for "pay attention to me" or "I want something".

At 11:00 pm, I got out of bed and on the couch so we did not wake up Drew. Harley just nervously sniffed around the house. I tried to sit on the floor with her and that did not work. She was constantly moving and panting. We went out several times for her to go to the bathroom and she would not go.

Finally at 1 AM, I was so tired and unfortunately, annoyed. I know I should not have been annoyed, but I was. So I put her in the crate we had bought and went to bed. Well at 3 AM, an noise woke me. I didn't know what it was, but it sounded like a dog barking. I told Drew I think Harley is upset. As I opened the door, the house was filled with yelps and barks. I ran to where the crate was and let her out. I felt so bad. I loved on her and gave her treats. She seemed to be OK and really glad she was out of the crate. We settled in the living room and watched TV. On HBO, The Devil Wears Prada was just starting and I had been dying to see. As I stayed up for the next two hours wathcing the movie, Harley finally went to sleep.

On Sunday, I was determined to make her so tired there was no way she would be able to stay awake. We went on 3 15-30 minute walks that day.

Thankfully, she slept throught the night. But then we learned that Harley really should have been named Houdini. She gets out of her crate no matter how we rig it up. Now we have a pad lock on it. She doesn't get out anymore. She just tears up everything in it (any ideas).

The first few days were the roughest for all of us, but after a week Harley fell right into place and into our hearts. I treat her like my baby. I think she is the most beautiful dog and the best dog ever. I brag about her like people do their children. She is the most perfect addition to our family. I will keep ya'll posted about other events that have taken place in her first few months.

Harley bonded with me first, so I am the one she follows around. She is slowly warming up to Drew everyday. She does real well with our friends and even is OK around little kids (but we watch her like a hawk).

If the picture appears it was taken about a week ago.


At 10/25/2007 7:45 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

So how was the Devil wears Prada? I want to see it- but still have not gotten around to it?

Great post- sounds like Harley knows what she wants and more importantly she knows how to get it.

Glad to hear she is a perfect fit for your home.

At 10/29/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger David said...

Hannah chewed up a blanket and two beds when I kept her crated. I think it was a sign that she wanted more intellectual stimulation. I always made sure she had toys to chew on and stuff, but that didn't always help. Hannah got a point in her crate where she would only chew things up on bad days (Halloween, bad rain storms, power outages, etc.) My dogs get the run of the kitchen and back entry now and the destruction is confined to their chew toys normally.

At 11/20/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

So glad Harley got a great home. She is just gorgeous. Our Taylor had terrible separation anxiety - chewed blinds, etc. Also did not like crate until we put our rabbit's cage nearby. That was it - no more barking or destructive behavior. Do you have another pet to have near her when you are gone. Now that TJ shares the crate next to her she has it made. Our living room has 2 crates and one rabbit cage - very high end decor. Jackie


Post a Comment

<< Home