Best Buy Coupons
Best Buy Coupons

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Bacari's Scary Moment

We moved over the Thanksgiving weekend. So we have been in our new home for only a few short days. Everything was going smoothly transitioning the dogs to the new place until this afternoon. Bacari bolted (since he is a puppy mill rescue, he has this tendency but has not done this in months!). He took off running in a neighborhood he (and we) are unfamilar w/. Not only do we not know our way around, the neighbors told us that large farms, creeks and acres of woods surround out seemingly surburban "hood."

We walked the streets, Drove the streets, talked to anyone who will listen (instructing them- please don't approach him- just call us.) Well having been here only 2 days and not have been formally introduced to anyone, a few of our neighbors stepped up to search- getting in their cars to drive around looking for the B Man.

The sun started to set- I knew that if it dropped w/ no Bacari, our chances of finding him lessened signficantly. I am in tears, shaking, and acting like a complete basketcase. Acting, no not acting- I was a complete basket case.

Then someone started honking- he'd been spotted- running back up the street. I ran toward him and stopped to let him come to me. NOPE- he ran right past me. Still headed toward the house, I was hopeful he'd go back home. Wrong Again- just kept running. I knew I had to keep him in my sight. Jumped in the car and trailed him. It was then that I simply rolled down the window and asked him if he was ready to go home. I guess he was- he stopped and hopped in the car.

We are both tired and he has some scrapes and a paw pad injury but we are warm and cozy in the house. He w/ his bone and I w/ my blanket, curled up on the couch.

I write this so people know that life w/ a rescue dog is a wonderful experience, but not always a walk in the park, sometimes it a chase through the woods. I love Bacari and the thought of life w/out him is not one I am ready to face. He is a gem and has so much to offer. BUT he has baggage- some of which he'll carry for life. It is my job to protect him- today I failed, but was offered a second chance, a Do-Over, a Mulligan(not a golfer but I think that is what it is called) if you will. I have to remember (as do we all) that these dogs may blossom and grow but we must always remember their past. Bacari is a flight risk- he always has been and today proves he always will be. Does that mean we don't do anything w/ him?- NO WAY!! Just means I am going to be more careful and not let myself get too comfortable and put him in a situation that could potentially be bad.

And another way to ease my mind- so if someone has a direct line to Santa, please let him know- I would like a fence for Christmas.

Amanda and Bacari (thankfully!!)

3 Comments:

At 11/26/2006 3:55 AM, Blogger sibtigre2 said...

What an excellent lesson for all of us to learn! Thank you for sharing this story, Amanda. I don't have a direct line to Santa but I will definitely do my best to get the message to him!

 
At 11/30/2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Patti A. said...

Phewwww! I'm glad B came back. And I'm with you on the fence. I already asked Santa for a real one, not the kind that the moles chew through:)

 
At 12/01/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

You got that right!!!! Bacari is back to being leashed anytime he exits the house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home